?

Log in

I believe my kitten has a UTI. When I took him to the vet he was so… - Cat Health [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]
Cat Health

[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

[Aug. 8th, 2012|10:05 pm]
Cat Health

cathealth

[moonlithoughts]
[Tags|]

I believe my kitten has a UTI. When I took him to the vet he was so scared he peed in his carrier, so there wasn't anything they could test, so we gave him an antibiotic shot just in case. He got the shot on Monday, and today he's obviously in pain when he tries to pee and he's trying to pee outside the litterbox and barely getting anything out. My mom is freaking out about him being sick and needing more help, but I figure even if we take him to the vet, what more can they do?

How long should the shot take to alleviate the symptoms? Do I need to take him to the vet again? Money is super tight and he is so afraid of the vet, but I will if I need to. I'm just thinking it's pointlessly redundant.
LinkReply

Comments:
[User Picture]From: alison_in_oh
2012-08-09 03:23 am (UTC)
Male cats very seldom get *infections*. They have a long and narrow urethra that usually functions to keep germs out. However, they are very prone to *obstructions* from crystals in the urine. That same narrow urethra suffers mightily if the cat is prone to crystal-forming (which can be exacerbated if he's free-fed dry food with lots of grains and additives). Trying to pee and getting almost nothing out is unfortunately a veterinary emergency. You do need to take him to the vet again, preferably tomorrow (if he's been doing this for a while I'd start considering an emergency after-hours vet but since that is so $$$ I understand if that's not an option). In the meantime encourage him to drink lots of water -- syringe it into his mouth if you have to, and/or feed wet food mixed with water into a slurry. What's his usual diet?

The longer this goes without being fixed, the more likely he could need surgery. When my boy cat had this condition at age one, the vet had to catheterize him and keep him in the hospital. We were college students and we had to tell the vet that $300 was the absolute maximum -- luckily we came in under that, but if it had been any worse he would have needed surgery that we couldn't afford.
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: moonlithoughts
2012-08-09 03:34 am (UTC)
Thank you so much! I had no idea it wouldn't just be an infection.

It's only been going on since this morning (I noticed slight symptoms before but I mostly took him into the vet out of paranoia), so I'll take him into the vet ASAP tomorrow.

He is a big water drinker, and he gets wet food mixed with water twice a day.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: karmen
2012-08-09 01:00 pm (UTC)
No, he needs to go today, right now because can you imagine not being able to pee for over 24 hours and having it hurt when you try? Now or you may not have a cat left to take to the vet tomorrow!
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: muzik_love
2012-08-09 03:32 am (UTC)
take him to a different vet ASAP. A cat can die from a blockage. I hate to scare you and I'm definitely not the type that prematurely urges people to go to the vet.
He might be in pain and need a muscle relaxer to help him chill out and go pee. Or he might be seriously blocked.
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: moonlithoughts
2012-08-09 03:39 am (UTC)
No, it's perfectly fine, and I appreciate it. Since my vet didn't mention anything, I assumed he also thought it was just an infection and that the antibiotic would take care of it. And since money is tight and my mom is prone to freaking out over nothing, I figured it'd be no big deal to wait. I'll definitely take him in tomorrow morning.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: muzik_love
2012-08-09 03:45 am (UTC)
if they didn't have any pee to test, he probably just thought it was best to give an antibiotic since that was the most likely reason for the cats problems.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: muzik_love
2012-08-09 03:49 am (UTC)
it sounds like a blockage though. so please be waiting outside of the vet for it to open. :-/ I almost had my cat die when he was two because of crystal blockage. I hope thats not the case for you though.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: silaren
2012-08-09 04:27 am (UTC)
Well, he peed in the carrier, and presumably the vet palpated to check for a full bladder, so he'll have at most the night's accumulation of pee and should be OK. But yes, vet soon!
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: alison_in_oh
2012-08-09 06:05 am (UTC)
Per the post, he peed in the carrier Monday...
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: suidae
2012-08-09 03:38 am (UTC)
Yes, time for vet immediately. This could be an infection or it could be blockage. Either way to a vet now before it becomes life threatening.
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: redheadforever
2012-08-09 07:11 am (UTC)

What they can do is save his life. He may need catheterization or just a different med.
Your little boy sounds like he's getting worse and your mom is right, he needs help. NOW

Is he drinking water? Is he off any dry food/high-ash treats? How often is he actually urinating? Any pus/blood/gritty stuff in the pan? Does he have a discernable fever?

He may need a different med. Then again, he may have a kidney or bladder stone. Vet intervention here is called for but s/he needs information.

Tell your vet the answers to the questions and say again how tight for funding you are. If the meds are changed and you get a new scrip, remember that many pharmacies have a very cheap generics program..

We went through the same thing with my first cat. Bladder stones. Not wasting time saved his life.

Talk to your vet ASAP. Keeping you all in my prayers/good thoughts.
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: denisia
2012-08-09 07:34 am (UTC)
Agreeing with everyone else here. Vet. Now. If he's straining to pee and seems to be in pain, he could be blocked, and they would need to catheterize him. Urinary blockages are not one of those things that you can wait a few days to fix. There's a very limited window of time before they're past the point of no return, so your boy needs to get help now. After that, you might need to talk with the vet about things you can do that will cut down on the possibility of this happening in the future, such as feeding him wet food instead of dry food.

As per the above, as well, boy cats can and do get bladder infections--my old cat had several of them, he was only on a wet food diet, and he always tested negative for crystals--so even if he's not blocked, he might need a stronger antibiotic or some pain relief, which are more good reasons to get to the vet. You can talk to them about the costs--and I totally understand how it is when money is tight--and see if they have any options for you.
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: elly_marion
2012-08-09 07:47 am (UTC)
Hoping your cat gets well soon.</p>

Our orange cat Peach had a blockage when we first moves in out home and later had a bump in his skin. Let your vet know immediately that this is going on to help your little guy. We found out that our case was the change from well water to city water and the cat refused to drink it.

We lucked out and our vet didn't charge that much for meds, as well as gave a free steroid shot because our 5 animals go to him and only him. He's also a family business, and he's almost 70. Their office is a separate building on their property.

Your vet might work with you on cost. If not, I'd go to another vet who understands.

(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: elly_marion
2012-08-09 07:48 am (UTC)
Gah.. My iPhone messed up a sentence.</p>

"When we first moved out in our home" should be the correct phrase.

(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: almostangelic
2012-08-10 02:13 am (UTC)
Please take him straight to the vet. He probably has crystals and it could end up life threatening. Good luck.
(Reply) (Thread)