You are viewing cathealth

Cat Health - possibly ingested sleeping pill? [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]
Cat Health

[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

possibly ingested sleeping pill? [Apr. 3rd, 2011|11:43 pm]
Previous Entry Share Next Entry

cathealth

[sio]
[Tags|]
[Current Mood |worriedworried]
[Current Music |Loreena McKennitt, "The Mystic's Dream"]

i'm afraid my kitty may have eaten an expired sleeping pill (Simply Sleep, an OTC brand). i found the box on the floor and one blister packet was open and missing one. but since it looks like it was pulled open (not chewed), i can't remember if it was one i took before they expired or not. the package says they expired last October.

i found an odd, small bluish hairball earlier...the color made me think about it since the pills are blue. is there any symptoms i should look for? i'm sure these pills are toxic to cats (as they are made for humans). i don't see anything out of the ordinary but i don't know what time it was ingested if she did eat it--or how long it would take to cause harm.

any advice would be helpful...i'm very worried abt her. :( thanks.
LinkReply

Comments:
[User Picture]From: wicked_sairah
2011-04-04 07:02 am (UTC)

(Link)

How long ago do you think this happened? If it was within the last hour or so, you could try inducing your cat to vomit by giving her/him, some hydrogen peroxide (like what you would use to clean wounds) (Not rubbing alcohol!) http://www.vetinfo.com/how-to-induce-vomiting-in-cats.html

You should try calling poison control and seeing what they say, you can also call Animal Poison Control (I don't know if they charge every time you call though) http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/
[User Picture]From: sio
2011-04-04 10:03 am (UTC)

(Link)

that's just it...i don't know. the box wasn't on the floor when i left for work in the morning (8am). i noticed it at 9pm. she could have knocked it down right after i left or while i was home before i noticed it. or not at all.

i will try calling in the morning....i desperately need sleep now. thanks.
[User Picture]From: kahlan_amnell
2011-04-04 08:34 pm (UTC)

(Link)

By the morning there will be little you can do about it, other than treating symptoms if there are any. Ingesting human medicine can cause serious harm to cats, so by morning the damage could be done. Call Animal Poison Control or an emergency vet now.
[User Picture]From: stalia
2011-04-05 12:26 am (UTC)

(Link)

It is *probably* OK. Simply Sleep is the same stuff as benadryl, which can be given to cats, though one pill is a hefty dose. If she ate it, she would likely be pretty sleepy.
The other thing is diphenhydramine is super bitter and a cat would be very unlikely to keep it in their mouth of their own free will.

I tend to take the "better safe than sorry" approach, so I can't tell you not to call a vet.